I have just returned from market, so it is a great time to be finishing this Spring Trends blog series with the fabric trends of the season. I always include fabric trends as part of my trend reviews because it is distinct from color and style trends. Sometimes an item is trendy purely because of the fabric even though the style is a classic.
Take a look at the pictures at the top of this blog post. These three model groupings were a visual summary of the most important trends for the season. They were compiled by designers showing at the Magic Apparel Trade Show in Las Vegas. They are a great representation of several important fabric trends of the season:
- Metallic Fabrics: There is a big emphases on metals this season and with that, shiny fabrics. The models on either end of the pictures represent this trend. On the left, notice the metallic fabric used for the modern suit. You can see that it catches the light, reflecting back a dark grey iridescent sheen. On the far right, look at the shiny silver mini skirt, reminiscent of sterling silver with its luxurious bright silver color.
- Sheer Fabrics: This season, designers are also focusing on soft and sheer fabrics. On the model on the left, you can see that her top is a sheer, black mesh. This idea is repeated in the prominence of Toole this season. The model in the middle is wearing a lime green Toole skirt that balances out its ruffles with the soft, sheer fabric.
- Vegan Leather Fabrics: We’ve seen faux or vegan leather for the last several seasons, and it continues to be important this season. The model in the vegan leather suiting shows off this trend in classic black. You can also see it represented in the Moto Jacket pictured in the middle.
- Shiny Fabrics: The short cocktail dress on the mannequin in the picture to the left is a great example of this trend. This soft sequined dress is simple in its design but is made special by the iridescent sequins that reflect the light.
- Vegan Fur Fabrics: The faux fur coat on the mannequin on the left is a show stopper and demonstrates the importance of fur as a statement piece.
This second set of images represent the fall fabric trends for this year. Notice a continuation of Toole, Sheer, and Fur fabrics in these looks. The great news is that you can be sure that if you invest in these fabrics now, you will still be able to wear them next season.
I hope this fabric trend review has been helpful for you! If you missed any of my previous trend reports, be sure to check out my Spring Color Trends Post and my Spring Style Trends Post. You can also watch my Wednesday Wardrobing Live Video on this topic. These air every Wednesday at 6 p.m. MST in my VIP Facebook Group. I would appreciate your comments on this post and am happy to answer any questions.
When how you look matters,