We often talk about clothing trends mainly as they correlate to color, fabric and style. Oftentimes, accessory trends are over looked. This is too bad really because making the wrong choice in your accessories, can effect your whole look. Choosing an out of date hat style, as an example, can your whole outfit feel out of date.
As a result, I wanted to take a little time today to talk about some hat and glove trends that are important for the season. This is by no means an exhaustive list, but these are the trends that I think most women can wear with confidence. Here is what I think you need to know:
- WIDE BRIMMED HATS (upper right picture): This style is great with jeans, plaids and vests. It also looks amazing with dresses and jump suits, as it lends itself to be paired up with shoe boots. The most common and easiest to pair hat colors are tans, browns and blacks.
- BEANIES (middle picture): Not only are beanies functional to keep your head warm, they can add a lot of style to your look. while you might be tempted to just grab any old beanie out of your drawer and throw it on, let me suggest you start pairing your beanie with your outfit. Match the colors and style. These trendy hats come in lots of different options, from slouchy to those with poms and those without. Choose what style fits your personality and look the best. Slouchy hats work well with urban styles and are a bit younger. Poms add a touch of whimsey.
- BANDEAUS (top left picture): These ingenious head accessories are essentially a tube that can be worn in a multitude of different ways. It is fun to wear them as a head band, like I’ve done here, and match the colors with your outfit. It just takes your style up a notch, while still protecting your ears on cooler days and nights. You can also pull them down and use them as a neck scarf or turn them into a beanie.
- PHONE FRIENDLY FINGERS: I’m sure you have had the experience of having to take your gloves off to use your cell phone. Glove companies have gotten smart and have added smart phone friendly fingers so you don’t have to freeze your hands to use your phone.
- FINGERLESS GLOVES: Another option for making cell phone use easier is to go with fingerless gloves. These hand coverings basically protect your thumb and wrist while allowing your fingers to be out. They can be utilitarian or fun and trendy with animal prints and fur
- PRINTED GLOVES; Just because you need to wear glasses, doesn’t mean you need to wear BORING glasses. In the same way, just because you need to wear gloves, doesn’t mean they need to be black. It is fun to match your hats and gloves together to create a coordinating style. You can then coordinate them with a vest, scarf or coat so you look all pulled together.
Want to see some examples of these trends? Watch my live Wednesday Night Wardrobing video tonight in our VIP Facebook Group at 6 p.m. MST.