A lot of my customers try oversized tops, blouses and sweaters on and just assume they are too big. If we are not there to help them understand the trend, they usually just size down or skip it all together, missing out completely on the trend and style. I get it; most of my customers are over forty and in the thick of their careers and raising kids. Who has time not only to stay up on the trends but also to figure out how to wear them? Most of the professional women I know are just trying to keep their heads above water, balancing family and work. They need their clothing to be simple, not complicated. And then there is the intimidation caused by not having an answer to the dreaded question, “Am I too old to wear this?” Having a few years under our belts, we know that wearing a trend that is too young for us OR wearing it wrong are both equally cringe worthy.
But, have no fear, the oversized top trend is completely doable for this age group, and it is surprisingly easy and comfortable to wear, when you know how. Here are five ways to wear oversized tops, blouses and sweaters.
- Pair and oversized sweater with dressy joggers and use the “half-tuck” (tucked in the front and left out in the back) to minimize the bulk of the sweater and show off your waist and hips. This is by far the easiest way to style an oversized top, and it can be worn this way not only with the dressy joggers we have pictued at the top, but also with your jeans. Finish your look with shoe boots, and you are good to go. Easy-peasy.
- Pair an oversized top with a skirt. Choose a straight skirt, as shown at the top of the page, when you want to leave your oversized top out. If you have a full skirt that has an a-line cut, you can use the half tuck method to minimize the extra bulk and keep you from looking like a box. Finish your look with heels or shoe boots.
- Wear and oversized top with leggings and layer with a vest. This is a great dressed up casual look for your day off or for going to your kid’s after school activities like games. Don’t worry about the top hanging out from under the vest. This is part of the look. If the top has too much fabric for you, you can also knot it at the hem and to one side. This will pull our the bulk of the fabric so it fits your body better. Finish your look with fun tennis shoes.
- Layer an oversized sweater over a blouse. This classic look works with regularly sized sweaters and oversized sweaters equally well. You can leave your blouse untucked so the hem shows below the sweater and then wear it with your skinny jeans or leggings. Finish your look with some shoe boots.
- Pair and oversized blouse with faux leather leggings. Polyurethane leggings are the rage right now, and they are a great way to wear the oversized trend. You can style them with and oversized white blouse and let it hang out, as pictured above. You can also style them with an oversized sweater worn loose and out. Finish your look with shoe boots.
I hope these 5 ways of wearing an oversized top, blouse or sweater have helped you see that this trend is totally accessible for those of us over 40. Leave the knee high boots and short skirts to the twenty-somethings, us middle aged gals can still rock this trend!! To see more examples of these five ways, watch my Wednesday Night Wardrobing Live Video Wednesday night at 6 p.m. MST. I will be dedicating this video to the oversized trend. You can watch live here: Wednesday Night Wardrobing Live Video: 5 Ways To Wear The Oversized Top Trend.
All of the looks at the top on the page are available in store or online at Fashion Crossroads Inc . We ship fast and free from our storefront in Casper, Wyoming where we cater to professional women looking for clothing for work and dressed up casual for the weekends.