The warm orange glow of a fire that crackles softly in the cool, crisp air; the warmth of a cup of hot chocolate in the palms of your hands; the soft Chenille of a cozy sweater; the tip of a nose turned red by the first cold fall night….oooh, I can hardly wait!
Truth be told, while I love summer and all the wonderful things I get to do, my favorite season is fall. I love everything about fall because, here in Wyoming, it is a time of transition – the season between the heat of summer and the dead of winter; I look forward to it every year. And, in my opinion, fall clothes are THE BEST clothes. It isn’t cold enough to warrant a heavy winter coat, so we get to wear soft and cozy sweaters, warm down vests, trendy capes, cute hats and scarves, tall boots, shoe boots and, my favorite, UGGS.
So today’s blog post is all about dressing for those bonfire nights and staying trendy and fashionable while you do it. Whether you are on a hay ride, finding your way through a corn maze, sitting by a campfire roasting hot dogs, attending a loved one’s football game or cheering on our good ol’ Wyoming Cowboys, these tips will ensure you look great while you are doing it.
My favorite fall trends for those bonfire nights:
- The Shacket: this combination between a shirt and jacket is like wearing your dad’s heavy weight camping flannel. The oversized fit means you can layer it over other things and also makes it perfect to pair with the season’s trendy leggings. Add some shoe boots or tall boots and a coordinating hat and scarf, and you will have a trendy fall style, perfect for whatever fun you have in mind.
- The Chenille Sweater: sweaters are huge this season and Chenille (ultra soft yarn) abounds. This fabric just oozes comfort and cozy. You’ll be giving yourself hugs, I promise.
- Wide brimmed Fedora: Your fall look won’t be complete without a brushed velvet Fedora. This style works well with plaid blouses, shackets, capes, and more. Match your hat to your shoes and handbag for a the classic classy lady style.
- Plaid Shirts: My sixteen year old daughter calls these her “flannels.” I haven’t pointed out to her that flannel is a fabric and what she really means to say is “plaid,” which is the print. Ugh…did I just sound like an English teacher? (You can take the girl out of the classroom but not the classroom out of the girl! He he.) At any rate, my daughter is enamored with paid shirts because they are so trendy and they work so well over the cropped tops she loves to wear with her high waisted shorts and jeans. Wear them open, partially buttoned, tied…you choose, but make sure you have a plaid shirt this season.
- Suede or faux leather leggings: the great thing about this trend is these fabrics are ever so much warmer than cotton knit, so here in the west, we love this trend! Pair them with a cute graphic tee and a long sweater cardigan. Wear them with a tunic length shacket. Match them to a longer sweater. The best thing about this style is you will be as comfortable as you are fashionable for all those cool weather activities.
- Puffy down vests: these will just not go away, and it is probably because they are the perfect transitional item for fall when you don’t quite need a coat, but a sweater is just not enough. Choose one in a trendy fall color like olive, rust or mustard to give your outfit a fresh look. Match up a cute beanie and scarf, and you’ll be rocking fall style.
The leaves are already turning yellow on the tree outside my office as I type this blog post. Soon, we will be seeing golden yellow patches on the mountain indicating that the Aspen trees are beginning to turn. This year, make sure you get out and enjoy this season with all it has to offer. And, make sure you look great while you are doing it for all those selfies!
Want more ideas for fun fall outfits? Watch my Wednesday Night Wardrobing Live Video at 6 p.m. MST in our VIP Facebook group.