I always have to laugh when I do my research for a trend review. I have my go to sources like In Style and Glamour magazine, but honestly, half of what they highlight, will never be mainstream here because, frankly, it is just too out there. Wyoming style is always practical; our weather makes it so. It has a hint to classic elegance if its dressy and mountain towns if it is casual. So what usually happens is we see elements of the trends without seeing the full trend.
As I looked through various trend reviews, I saw trends like low slung waists, super mini skirts, super sheer tops and pants, fringe, netted knits, ruffle explosions that looked like birthday cakes, ginormous (and I do mean HUGE) handbags, prairie inspired clothing, highlighter yellow, and crazy metallics all highlighted. No way.
Here is what we will see:
- Smocked and puffed sleeves on tops: this originates from the prairie trend, and I have seen Democracy doing this for two seasons now, but instead of putting this trend on prairie plaids, they have done it on animal printed tops.
- Straight leg crops with embellished legs: Practically every pant I have coming in from my brands this season is embellished in some way or colored. The focus is really on different and new
- Wide leg pants, with a move away from skinny legs: Some trend reports I read seem to suggest that skinny pants are totally out, but I have fringed hem skinny jeans in from Democracy this season. Be careful of the “what not to wear” bloggers. They may be representing a certain segment of fashion, but I’ll know skinny pants are out when I can’t find them anymore at market, and that is NOT the case.
- Denim Jackets: I’ve seen this trend for the last two seasons. While winter seemed to focus on denim colors, spring and summer are focused more on colored denim jackets.
- Camo Joggers: the jogger trend has been with us for several seasons, but adding a fun camo print or embellishments takes it to a new place.
- Metallic elements on tops: while I doubt I will see full on metallic on the streets of Casper, I am seeing the trend show up in simple ways like a metallic placard as a detail item.
- Super feminine prints, especially in dresses: this is the season to wear floral prints when you wear a dress. This is take off from the ultra feminine trends that are leading to the ruffle explosions on the runway. We tone it down here in good ol’ Wyo to just sweet prints.
- Bold colors: head to toe highlighter yellow will get you run out of town here, but a bright pop of color is always fun. You will be seeing neon colors similar to your favorite pack of highlighters, but they will be an accent or be relegated to a top.
- Button down blouses. Collared blouses have been strong for several seasons and they continue to be. This season, however, the fabrics are soft and draped.
- Colored leather handbags. If you are tired of your basic brown or black handbag, you will love all the amazing colors in leather this season. Our new HOBO shipment contains cactus green, merlot, mustard, citron green, ice blue, and sky blue, to name just a few of the fun new colors.
One blogger did say something I agree with….put your comfy, soft, I stayed home all day clothes away for staying at home! We can get out again. Dress like you mean it!