When you are making your spring purchases, it may be helpful to know what will be trendy for this coming fall so you can buy with an eye to what will transition into the next season. After all, that is just smart shopping. Fortunately, many of the strongest trends for spring will also be important for fall. If you think carefully about your color choices, you will be able to make spring purchases that will carry over.
Top Fall Trends To Buy Now:
- Printed tops: From beachy to polka dots and stripes, printed tops are a great way to add a pop of color to your neutral bottoms. Since there are several carry over colors from spring to fall like mustard, navy, pink, and wine, if you choose your top styles carefully, you should be able to wear them this fall too. This adorable leaf printed tank could easily be paired under a grey blazer and worn with black slacks for fall, as an example.
- Printed bottoms: look for animal, camo, and herringbone to be key prints for fall bottoms. As you are shopping spring and summer, you will see many of these same prints, but in lighter colors. Keep in mind how you might be able to transition your purchases now into fall later. Grey animal prints, for example, are season-less and can be paired today with a grey tank and next fall with a grey sweater.
- Colored denim: I saw everything from mustard, olive green, wine, and even pink for fall, so this is a trend you will definitely be able to carry into next season. Obviously, some of the more summery colors like mint won’t work, but if you buy a mustard or pink jean now, you will most definitely be able to wear it next season.
- Colored blazers: Just as a rainbow of colored denim was a key trend, I saw this same idea in blazers. Again, thinking forward, if you buy a color like denim blue, mustard, or pink, you will be able to wear it now while it is colder and then use it again when the leaves start to fall.
- Embellished jeans: The market was flooded with all kinds of embellished bottoms for spring and summer. See my spring trends blog post for more info. This trend will continue to be very strong into fall. Look for raw edges, painted designs, and embroidery to grace the bottoms of jeans. Again, since everything is about the ankle length right now, the ankle jeans you buy now will most definitely be wearable in the fall as well. The great thing about ankle length bottoms is they are season-less!
- Teddy Bear Coats: This trend takes nubby fabric, like you might find on a teddy bear, and applies it to an over sized, zip up coat body. The most popular color that I saw was teddy bear brown, see below. We saw this trend be strong for this past fall season too, so if you bought one, you will definitely be able to wear it next fall or if you find one this spring that you like, you can feel confident that this trend will continue.
- Wool Dress Coats: I am doing the happy dance on this one! While I love my down coats for warmth, I have missed the classic wool dress coat! They are back for next season. Now is the time to shop for coats, so if you find a wool dress style you like, buy it and put it away for next season.
- Vests: Here in Wyoming we love our vests. They are so versatile, and a very handy extra layer when it is 2 degrees. They will be fashionable next season, and I saw everything from down puffy vests to suede vests to menswear inspired styles. Vests are 3 season items, working for spring, fall and winter. Thus, they are always a great investment.
- Shoe boots: Because the ankle length bottom is so strong, shoe boots continue to be an important trend in shoes. I saw quite a few printed shoe boots, especially in animal prints. Again, these are a great transitional style that will work now as well as into the next season.
- Polka Dots: The dots just keep going and going. There is no slow down in the pre-occupation of designers with polka dots. Again, a black and white dot top will work well for spring and fall. Another great choice, would be a navy and white or mustard and white option. These are colors that will transition easily into colder weather. Wear white with them in the summer and then choose navy or black in the winter.